Monday, May 10, 2010

Africa Trip Testimony - Spring Break 2010

Written on April 17, 2010

When I walked into the Malawi mission trip meeting last fall, I had no intentions of going to Africa. I didn’t even plan to stay for the whole meeting. Walking in there was my nod to God…it was me obeying the persistence I felt to “someday” go on a mission trip “somewhere.” I have since learned from this experience that if you are willing to get your toes wet, you might as well be prepared to cannonball into the pool…because when God gets involved, anything is possible.

I left that meeting feeling called to go to Malawi, but completely baffled as to why. I heard nothing described in that meeting that I felt like I could even do, much less be good at. After an indisputable word from God, I committed to go, and felt complete peace about the decision, but continued to battle those feelings of personal inadequacy all the way to Malawi.

Once in Malawi, we were sent out into the villages to evangelize and invite. I froze up completely, not knowing what to do or say, and wished I was anywhere but in Africa. I cried all the way back to our house that night, beseeching God for help, and devastated at the thought that the only good reason I was on the trip was to cook, “mother” the younger ones, and help organize things. God allowed me to personally break that evening, only to wake me up a couple of hours later to have a meeting with me.

God came through that night, like He always does when we call on Him. It felt like He was right there with me under my mosquito net, for a good two hours—while I kept telling him I really needed to get some sleep! But during that time, God assured me not only of His endless love, but His awesome power…and His everlasting endurance, even in the face of fatigue and discouragement. I began to see myself leading, sharing and ministering to the people without hesitation. God put words into my head to say. I began to be excited about the rest of the trip, and excitedly anxious for morning. I thanked God for His mercy until I fell asleep again.

God used me in an incredible and powerful way the remainder of the trip. He allowed people with needs to cross my path, and words of comfort to come out of my mouth. I found myself excited about sharing, instead of nervous. Whether it was ministering to ladies on the roadside, leading my first 6 people to Christ, or giving my testimony in front of a large group, God was allowing me to experience a brand-new meaning of living for Him. A passion exploded in me that I have never felt before…a passion to disciple the Christian people of Malawi. Along with that passion, however, came a deep burden.

While there is currently an explosion of the gospel in Malawi, resulting in large numbers coming to Christ, there is also a discouraging lack of discipleship. New Christians are left in the dark, unsure of what it means to live a Christian life and lacking in the resources and means to be able to learn. What can we do?
  • WE CAN PRAY not only for the outgoing mission teams and the unsaved, but also the new Christians of Malawi. "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" Ephesians 6:18.

  • WE CAN CONTRIBUTE on a regular and sacrificial basis to missions. “In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” Acts 20:35.

  • WE CAN GO and help the cause. “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations…teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you…” Matthew 28:19-20.

  • WE MUST BE READY AND WILLING to recognize and respond to God’s call on our lives. “With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith. We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you…” 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment