Friday, July 1, 2011

With Love

We probably make too big a deal of Valentine’s Day. It’s like a mini Christmas. But we do love our kids, and want to show them. The candy may be long digested and the gifts discarded for something new…but the love still remains strong.
How do I love thee, my offspring? Let me count the ways.

To my man, Tyler: You taught me how to be a mom, because for sure I had NO idea at all before you came. I remember saying you couldn’t be my child when I saw you for the first time…because I had always said all babies were ugly and you were so beautiful! Now you are a big bear of a boy who dotes on his sisters and loves the cooking channel. You may be a bit too literal at times…someone who insists the world should run in strict black and white (and allows you to always win)…but I can’t really argue since I fight the same battle. You are fun-loving, sensitive and kind…and you are going to make one heck of a daddy someday. I love you, Tyler!

To my sweet sis, Emily: I thought I had a ringer on my hands when you came along with your shock of crazy hair, sleepless nights and screaming refusals to do anything you did not want to do, but you went from a demanding and difficult baby into the sweetest and most easy-going girl I could imagine. You are intuitive and loving, friend to all, the peacemaker of the group, and the only one who really likes to “just be alone” sometimes (which is my one mark on you…you sure didn’t get your slim nut-brown body from me!). You are determined, hard-working and beautiful, and I look forward to seeing the young lady you are quickly becoming. I love you, Emily!

To my love, Lauren: You are my tomboy who came out hairless but loving the color blue…a combination that resulted in you wearing blue dresses the first several years of your life. You are the most intriguing personality of the group. Everyone on the outside labels you as quiet and sweet…but those of us on the inside also know you to be the family clown…the one who likes to show out to make others laugh, the daredevil that has broken her arm twice. You are passionate and emotional, swinging from very high to very low. We are the most alike and are destined to have many clashes in the years to come. But when you say all you want to do is find a husband, get married and have babies “just like me”, it melts my heart…and also scares me to death. I love you, Lauren!

To my “Poose”, Hannah: You are your own person, with your own personality. From your wild and curly poosie hair to your incredibly sharp mind to your horrible mad faces, you are a bright spot in our family’s world. I always say with your strong will and determined mind, you will be capable of the worst of worsts or the greatest of greats…and just so you know, you get away with things that nobody else would have a chance with! But I gave you to God before you were born because you were His special commission, and I rest in the knowledge that He knows what He is doing. I can’t wait to see what you grow up to do. I love you, Hannah!

Happy Valentine’s Day and every day to my crew!

No comments:

Post a Comment