Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Ready for 2012

There is something about a new year that usually inspires us to consider change.  For a time, we become motivated to make ourselves “better” in a variety of ways.  My list-loving self simply delights in the permission…the almost mandate… to compile yet another bullet-preceded column of to-do items in the name of self-betterment and progress.

But of course, by mid-February, those dreams are usually shattered as the list becomes so many nagging demands or unrealistic ideals that have frittered away under the pressures of daily life.

So the thought has been pressing.  What if I only make one goal this year?  One goal that encompasses the entire complex outline of personal to-dos I might possibly conjure up for myself?  A single New Year’s resolution that is actually obtainable?

I want to take steps toward becoming who God wants me to be.

Not complete a 10-step program of What Would Jesus Do.  Not be perfect in the execution.  Not have the audacity to think I could possibly ever arrive on this side of eternity.  Just work on becoming me.  The real me.  The me that God sees when he looks at this broken, messed up bit of humanity.

It’s time.  God is calling me to concede the fight of having to order my own world and be put into order by Him.

I’m ready for 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment