Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Zosangalatza Malawi - Day 1

(Awesome, Wonderful, Amazing Malawi)

As I was boarding the plane in Northwest Arkansas headed to Africa, I could honestly say at that moment, I didn’t want to go. An exhilarating trip to Malawi in March and a clear certainty that I was supposed to go again in August didn’t serve to erase the anxiety that the moment of leaving brought to the surface. However, the instant the plane touched the runway in Lilongwe, the sun broke through my apathy, all apprehensions and travel fatigue melted away, and a joyous smile flooded my face. It felt like coming home, because there is simply something awesome about being in Malawi. Malawi is truly so zosangalatza.

Tuesday, August 24

We left the plane, entered the airport, and collected our bags. On our way out, we were cautioned to handle our own baggage, lest we be required to pay a “tip” to the well-meaning guys who were all too happy to “assist” by touching our carts and walking alongside us. So when someone spoke to me from my right hand side, I was already in the process of saying “no thank you” when I realized this was no stranger, but one of my translators from the March trip—a wonderful man named Gilosi who encouraged me greatly and holds a special place in my heart. Malawians are reportedly not “huggers” and this suits me fine, because neither am I. But in that time and in that place, all constraints and hesitation simply melted away. Gilosi and I hugged.

After the long bus ride, we made it to the mission house. The living and dining rooms had been given new coats of paint, furniture, curtains and wall decorations since March. It was lovely and comfortable and it took no time at all for our team of 13 to completely trash the place with all of our junk. Because Cindy House is currently serving as a full-time missionary in Malawi and living in this house as her residence, the rest of us divided up between the other two bedrooms. That meant 7 of us ladies piled up in one room, on bunk beds topped with mosquito nets. Amazingly enough, in spite of the very close quarters and complete lack of privacy, there was never a cross word or girl-drama the entire trip. That was truly a God-thing! We spent that first evening getting unpacked, organized and settled. In addition to each of us having our own 50-lb personal suitcase, we also each had a 50-lb supply suitcase (some had more than one) We worked several hard hours sorting out medical supplies, construction materials, pastor’s conference and other teaching supplies and food/toiletry items. It was like Christmas in August for Cindy, who was blessed to receive everything from brownie mixes to toilet paper.

Day one in Malawi was over, and it wasn’t even a full day. But it was an awesome day, and we were ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment