Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sugar and Spice and Everything Posh

Since spring, I’ve had no real direction for my hair.  Just-grow-it-out-I-don’t-care hair, if you want to define my all-summer style.  I knew I would come out of that funk eventually, and be ready to do something with a flourish.  Sure enough I did.  And yesterday was that day.

I sat down in the cushy, spinny chair as the stylist was trying to describe what she had in mind.  Woh wohwoh woh wohhhh (think teacher on Charlie Brown) is what I heard.  I have no vision, and was just nodding along trying to act like I had a clue what she was talking about.  But then somewhere in the midst of the fog, I heard “Victoria Beckham”.  Well I’m no fashionista or movie star junkie but I had heard of her, and knew she was beautiful.  So I said sure, I’ll channel my inner Posh.  Do whatever you want if you think it will look good on me.

It’s just hair, right?

She hacked and chopped and hair began thunking and sifting all over the floor both in big chunks and fine mist.  I had a dual mirror view from the front and side.  Strangely enough I didn’t feel any panic, only curiosity and intrigue.  I tried on a grin and it made the emerging style cuter.  It was for sure going to make for some interesting bedhead in the mornings.

Once it was all done, I headed home trying to act all sophisticated and posh (yes, it's really a word…look it up, I just did) and after checking my own reflection again, I Googled to see how close I really was to my carbon.  Hrm.  I think there should have been a disclaimer on the hairstyle.  “Spice guaranteed.  Body and posh not necessarily included”.


But that’s ok.  Hollywood couldn’t handle me anyhow.

And I liked my own version of it.  So that’s all that mattered, right?

Except it’s always nice to get a good opinion from the family, at least.  Good thing my confidence level is at a seasonal high right now.  Following is what I got.

Lauren said "Mom, your hair!" and then giggled when I asked if she liked it.

Tyler said "Whatdidya do to your hair?" and then snickered when I asked if he liked it.

Hannah refused to look at me or speak to me when I picked her up from school.  She then informed the kids later that I had "silly hair".

Emily asked if I did something to my hair and then didn't understand why everybody else had laughed.

Wes gave a lot of "wows" last night and then bit his tongue trying not to laugh out loud this morning when he saw my new bedhead look.



Told you.


Incredibly posh.

No comments:

Post a Comment